Does a dead link on a website affect SEO of a website?
After a corporate website is completed, broken links may remain on website. A so-called dead link is when a user clicks on a link and finds that it cannot be opened, or gives a 404 error. So why do dead links appear on site?
Reasons for broken links:
1. After website has been completed, website has been changed, or website has been moved, during this process location of file has changed, causing original link to become broken.
2. The folder name has been artificially changed, resulting in a wrong path and a dead link.
3. Some companies strive for success and aim to go online before website is complete. Unverified websites can have many broken links.
4. The link was originally normal, but after changing page, original link was not deleted. At this time, dead chain phenomenon will also appear.
Broken links on a website will undoubtedly have a negative impact on creation of a website. In particular:
1. Waste of resources: Too many dead links will slow down rate at which web site pages are crawled by search robots, which essentially puts a load on web site's server and wastes computing resources.
2. Bad User Experience: When users visit a website, they click on link every time and find that they can't be accessed, which undoubtedly brings negative thoughts about website. Corporate sites may even lose users because of this.
3. Negative impact on site ranking: higher quality of site, more search engines like it. If a site has too many broken links, search engines will think that site is of poor quality, which can not only drop in rankings, but can also be downgraded. Inclusions can also fall.
Because dead links have such a big impact on a website's SEO, what should we pay attention to once we've finished building a website?
1. Create a 404 error page. Some webmasters prefer to create a 404 error page to direct users to other pages. While this can be seen as a solution, doing so is not recommended as this method treats symptoms and not underlying cause. Moreover, search engine crawlers will continue to crawl for dead links, so websites still face risk of losing rankings and being demoted.
2. Proactively Submit Broken Links: It is recommended to open Baidu Webmaster Platform, there is a channel for submitting broken links on left. Before submitting broken links, pay attention to review and make sure that these broken links are not blocked in robots.txt file. Because once it's blocked, crawler won't be able to grab dead link and it will lose point of sending dead link.
3. Artificially escape dead links: Webmasters can also organize dead links in a robots.txt file and upload file to website's root directory so that dead links can be blocked.
In short, we must pay attention to dead links in process of building a website. Dead links are like chronyWebsite diseases, while not fatal, are very painful. In long run, this is still bad for SEO of website, so we should pay more attention to it.